Hey, guys! So I was in Penang recently for an assignment, and the organizers put us up at a five-star luxury resort called Lexis Suites. Newly opened this year, it is located at Teluk Kumbar, about 15 minutes away from the Penang International Airport. Granted, the location is a bit far from the city center, but nothing a cab or shuttle can’t handle.
Didn’t manage to get a photo of the exterior, so here’s one from Booking.com.
The building is easy to spot, since it’s the tallest in the area. On the outside, it looks like your regular hotel/apartment. Even the lobby is nothing fancy…but wait til you check out the rooms!
View from the main lobby area on each floor.
I checked into an Executive Pool Suite. The main area had: two king-sized beds (each with seven pillows lol), two lounge chairs, a long counter, large LCD-screen IPTV, mini-fridge, safe and coffee/tea-making facilities. The room had an orange and blue colour scheme that was cheerful and bright! :)
Bed was good and pillows were really soft…but I didn’t sleep that well because I’m a peasant and I’m used to sleeping on something with a bit more hardness to it. ._.
My only other complaint is that the air conditioning wasn’t strong so I flung everything away in the middle of the night.
The IPTV allows guests to watch TV, listen to the radio, and even order room service so you don’t have to use the phone to call. :)
Pulling the curtains apart and through double doors is the ‘open’ bathroom area with sink, mirror and loads of towels + hairdryer.
Comes complete with all the toiletries and travel essentials – shaving kit, sewing kit, ladies sanitary kit, lotions and shampoos – you won’t even need to pack your own. :)
Closet on the right has two fluffy bathrobes and slippers + a foldable ironing board/iron.
No five-star hotel would be complete without a tub for soaking. :)
Saved the best part of the room for last – the balcony area, which has a small private pool for you to dip in. Course, you definitely can’t do laps, but it’s a nice place to soak in while you’re looking at the sea. All the rooms at Lexis Suites come with a private pool. Next to the pool is a steam room/sauna area.
Didn’t get to check out the rest of the facilities coz was out for assignment the whole night, but they do have all the stuff a proper resort should have, like a large swimming pool, gym, sky terrace, spa where you can get massages/ restaurants and such. Breakfast is at the Mezzanine floor, although selection is rather limited.
Price per night : from RM450 onwards
- Huge rooms, value for money if travelling in bigger groups
- All rooms have private pool and beach view
- Beach is just a few minutes away, although it isn’t a touristy beach and has lots of fishing boats so probably not a good idea to take a dip
- All the facilities – Gym, swimming pool with more beach views, spa, Kids Playground and Karaoke center
- Japanese resto on ground floor, bar and sky terrace on upper floors
- Location is in south part of Penang Island, so getting to the heritage enclave, commercial center and tourist attractions can be tricky. PS: They do provide intermittent shuttle services
- Not suitable for solo travellers.. unless you want to sleep in a huge ass room all by yourself
- Breakfast selection was rather limited during my stay, but then again it could have been because it was a weekday
- Not enough TV channels: they had the basic TV1-3, NTV7, 8TV, TV9, BBC, a sports channel and an entertainment/lifestyle channel, but that’s about it. Management should look into getting a Movie channel like HBO or something, coz I think that’s what most people enjoy.
Verdict – Lexis Suites is a great pick for families and travelers who want some luxury. If you like someplace quiet to relax, away from the city, then this is the perfect choice.